I love Clematis flowers….
For the longest time I wasn’t able to grow it. We had a golden retriever named Trixie who found it to be a tasty snack. I probably tried at least a dozen times to buy it and plant it only to have Trixie eat it. I gave up … until she died. Now I can grow Clematis, but I can’t help but think about her fond craving for it every time I look at it growing outside.
My hubby made me a pretty trellis so that it climb up the brick at the side of our house. See how I get my inspirations?
Since I wasn’t sure that I could pull off the perfect image of this that was in my head ….
Onward we go. I’ll show you how to make this!
Now please remember, I’m doing this tutorial so that you can see it’s pretty easy to stitch and you’ll want to purchase the pattern to make it for yourself. I really hope that ya’ll know that you will have to buy the pattern to make it and not try to make it without the purchased pattern .. that would be a form of stealing and it would make me sad….
This basting stitch will be removed once the lattice is stitched on.
I lined up my first set of lattice strips, measuring according to the pattern directions to get them centered correctly.
To make it easier to keep the strips at an equal distance apart, I cut squares of paper to set inbetween the strips. I pinned the strips in place. I lined up the center points of the lattice with the center basting stitch on the background wool.
Pinning and stitching a few rows makes it easier to keep the strips spaced correctly. You can see that the strips are woven in a out like a basket-weave.
This does take some time, but if you use lots of pins, it’s really not difficult. The spacing doesnt even have to be perfect because the flowers and leaves will cover up any flaws.
Ok, the lattice is finished! You can see from this picture that they’re not perfectly angled lattice, but as long as that it’s centered on the background wool, any other imperfections won’t be noticeable.
I pulled the thread tight before knoting it in the back so that the petal is just a bit puckered. If you don’t want the petals to pucker, then be sure to loosely stitch that backstitch.
I repeated this all around the outside edge. Make as few or as many as you wish but I found that making lots of the loose tails looked a bit too messy. I’m quite happy with the look of them just around the outside edge.
It’s just about done! I just need to attach the backing.
For the backing, I used black cotton linen-like fabric. I cut the rectangle 1” larger than the the wool background and ironed a 1/2” around the edge. After pinning the backing on, I blanket stitched around the edges … using black thread in the black areas and white thread on the white lattice areas.
I know that takes extra time to switch over the threads … if you don’t want to go to that extra effort, it could be done in all white threads or all black threads.
Either way … it will turn out absolutely gorgeous!
The pattern should be ready to sell this Monday, June 20th. I’ll have wool kits available and if things go well, I hope to have a downloadable E-Pattern for this too!
Happy Day everyone!