Friday, June 25, 2010

Strawberries, Cell Phones & Hot Flashes

Oh, I’ve been so negligent with blog writing.  It’s been a busy summer so far but my only excuse for not writing more frequently is only that I’ve gotten out of the habit.

I’ll do my best to get back into the habit.  I miss writing about stupid things.

So I bet you’re wondering what the heck Strawberries, Cell Phones and hot flashes have to do with each other?

phone2

I think I can safely say that for most people, they have no connection to each other, whatsoever.  But for me … ha!

These three things have been very important things in my life the last few weeks.

Business first, which means we get to talk about Strawberries!

The strawberry candle mat wool kit orders have been sent out.  If you’ve ordered a kit, they should be delivered very soon. 

I still have one kit for the black/red colored candle mat, so if you’re interested, just click on the Paypal button over there to order it.

Any other orders for the kit will be put on a back order list and will be filled once I get more wool dyed.

Thank you all for your kind words and orders for this strawberry candle mat.  It’s so rewarding to know that there will be lots of strawberries in your lives because of me!.

 

The whole cell phone issue for me is more about complaining about cell phones.

I’ve had the same cell phone for probably 5years or so…ok maybe longer.  That’s unusual, I know, but like my old car, I find it difficult to part with things that I like and still work well.  My cell phone was classy and cool way back then because it was small and it had a camera in it.phone3

Ok?  Are you getting the idea?  My cell phone that I love and still works well is ancient, outdated and gets fits of rolling-on-the-floor laughter whenever I walk into a Verizon store and someone sees it in my hand.

I do try to stay up on the new technologies.  I have an ipod touch, and for the most part, know how to use it.  It’s not like I have an aversion to newfangled things.  I just really liked my old phone.

I  don’t understand why the cell phone companies put more and more features on these phones like better cameras and games and internet “apps” instead of focusing on improving reception for the phones.

I could rant forever about this but I’ll get back to my cell phone story.

It’s really time to get a new phone.  I do text occasionally so I thought it would be nice to get a phone that had the keyboard feature on it.

Rachel needed a new phone too and since our phone plan includes basically a new phone for free, she helped me pick out a phone.

We both ended up getting the same phone, which has the keyboard and a “touch'” screen. 

I  really just wanted a basic phone but this one was free. 

Except, I found out that they’ve changed their phone pricing.  To get any phone with any kind of cool features, you have to pay an additional $10 for a data package, which means I get to play on the internet with my phone.

But darn it.  I don’t care about checking email or the internet on my phone.  I just don’t need that. at. all.

So, I have a really nice phone now.  It lets me text easily, gives me access to the internet, takes beautiful pictures, has entertaining games to play and I’m pretty sure it will play music too. 

But I was talking to my sister (casserole carol) on my new phone yesterday and guess what?  The reception was so choppy, I had to ask her to repeat what she was saying. 

So again, geez.  By now, with all the technological improvements with phones over the past few years, you’d think that the reception would be PERFECT. 

I don’t want to pay an extra $10 a month for things that I will never ever use, so I’m not keeping this phone.  I’m going to get just the basic old fashioned cell phone with just a camera and phone capabilities. 

Unless … they can develop my newest idea into a phone “app” ….

I have a most excellent idea for something that would interest every single woman over the age of 50.  It would make the phone companies millions of $ because every woman my age would buy it just for this very special feature ….

And this is where the Hot Flashes subject comes in.

Yes, I’ve been experiencing the much talked about Hot Flash.

Wow, to make this brief; dozens of times during the day, it feels like my face was put in front of an opened hot oven.

Not much can be done for this, so I hear … unless I want to take pills/medication for it.  I don’t do pills of any kind unless it’s absolutely necessary, so medication for something that’s a mere annoyance is out of the question for me.

But why isn’t there something out there that would provide some quick, but natural relief for this annoying affliction?

Carrying an icepack around with me isn’t feasible. 

And then it occurred to me …  I hold my cell phone to my head every day .. why not have an “app” that would instantly turn the cell phone into an icy cold pad that would cool me as I talked on the phone?  ..Or even better,  just pretend to talk on the phone while you’re rubbing the cooling phone on your face and neck!

You might laugh .. in fact .. I imagine both my daughters laughing right now as they read, but until you’ve experienced the famous hot flash, you really won’t understand how serious I am about this idea.

I think all of us over 50 need to join forces and push this idea to Verizon wireless.  This is a completely untouched market and we all could be cool while using a cool feature on a cool phone!

Ohh.. the possibilities!!

So there you have it .. how Strawberries, cell phones and hot flashes can be and ARE related  … at least in my life.

That was fun!

Happy Day everyone!

6 comments:

carla said...

Hee hee!!!! Thanks for the laughter and I will take one cool cell phone please!!!! hugs

Anonymous said...

I just love your blog. Everything you write about is so relatable. I thought I was the only one with an OLD phone. Mine doesn't even take pictures!! But it does get great reception. I would never use even the camera never mind the other technology. I do love your cooling feature though.

Elizabeth

Bari Jo said...

oh my goodness - YES - in fact, if the phone could have a fan app - that would blow a gentle cool breeze ... I think that would do the trick.... nothing like walking towards 50 and being a 'hottie' LOL! Got the kit and pattern in the mail this week - was much fun to open the package - thanks for the great kit! Can't wait to get started! :o) Bari

Anonymous said...

Been there done that no more hot
flashes for me. YAY


Pamela
NE Ohio

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

I use a basic Tracphone and use it just for emergencies. My husband may be an engineer who loves his "hi-tech" stuff but I need something that is "low-tech" in order to make it work. Having hit 60 last year, I finally exited the "hot flash" phase of life. What a relief! I can relate to the need for cooling but opening the door of the refrigerator works better than something the size of a cellphone. LOL!

Granapple said...

My sister has a saying that hot flashes are "the gift that keeps on giving." They do lessen as time goes by but I still have one every day at 4:00 a.m.!!!