Monday, June 8, 2009

Cherry Trees, Cherry Pie and Cherry Pinkeep!

Yesterday was the first day in a long time that I had completely free and to myself. Jimmy went out on a Sunday motorcycle road trip with some of his friends and Rach was over in Somerset, Pa, with her boyfriend and his family so I didn't even have to cook dinner!
I did a little cleaning up after the big curtain making week, I did a little sewing, I did a little gardening and I did a little baking. It was a very relaxing and quiet day.
Mmmmm .... cherries!

We have a sour cherry tree in our back yard and the crop was so abundant last year, that we actually got tired of cherries. I've had these frozen since last year and figured it was time to get them out and make a pie because by the end of the month, by the looks of the cherry tree this year, we're going to have another big crop.
The cherries turned into a 10 inch deep dish crumb-topped pie. By the time everyone was home last night, it had cooled enough to cut into ... served up with some vanilla ice cream. It was yummy.
In honor of the cherries, here's the pinkeep I made up. The little straight pins with tiny cherries are so cute. I have other ideas for cherries, but just need to get the time to draw it out.
Anyway, I hope to have these cherries listed on Ebay this evening.
Here's a close-up look at our cherry tree. They're still tiny and green but by the end of the month, they'll be ready for picking.
This tree is right outside my kitchen window so I can keep track of how many birds are stealing the berries while I wash dishes.
I love birds but sheesh, I wish they'd leave my cherries alone! Thankfully it looks like there will be enough to share.

Ok, I've so much to do today ... it's another beautiful day and the tree service guys are coming back today. We've a large dead tree in the woods of our property that is about 10 feet away from a neighbor's house so it must be removed before it falls and we get sued. Wow, we've had some really bad luck with trees this year so far. Hopefully, once this is done, no more tree problems, ever.
Happy Day everyone!

6 comments:

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Oh YUMMO! That pie looks great and the pin keep is adorable! I LOVE cherries!!!

Anonymous said...

Good morning, I'm stopping by to say hello, and Happy Monday. Your cherry stuff is yummy, adorable, and beautiful!

My blog topic today is about a man, a dog, a love story, and a bit about embroidery.

xJ
MaidenShade.wordpress.com
DeStash.me
MaidenShade.com

Something Nice and Pretty said...

That pie looks wonderful and I think that's neat looking out the window and seeing the cherry tree:)

Love the pin keep!
Rondell♥

Lisa said...

LOVE! The cherry pin keep! Pins even!! The pie looks delicious! Send it on! hehehe
Hugs,Lisa

Linda said...

Yummy !! I love cherry pie and anything with cherries. You pinkeep is cute

Tolentreasures said...

Wow, memories! We had a sour cherry tree in our yard when I was growing up and every year my Mom would bake cherry pies. I love the pies but wow were those cherries sour!
Love your wool cherries, you never cease to amaze me with your wool creations.

Cathy