Saturday, December 25, 2010

Putting on the Merry Christmas Present Face

So today is the day, finally!
Every year, all of us spend so much time preparing for this day.
The shopping, the cleaning, the decorating, the baking and cooking.
Just for one day.
But once that day comes, you’re more than glad that you did all of that preparation because it’s all of those family traditional things that we do that keeps the spirit alive.
It’s not even about the gifts. 
But I do have to say, having a little one around sure does make the day even better.  The grandson is at that perfect age .. he understands what’s going on and no matter what present he gets, he loves it.
This year, while waiting for the family to all gather at our house, I’m a bit worried though about the present that my husband and I are giving to our daughters and son-in-law.
It’s something that they’ve not asked for … I don’t think they would ever expect it from us.  That’s what makes it exciting …to see them open up their very special gift and then the surprised and joyous faces they make which will make all that work and effort and $$ worth every stinking bit.
But, there’s also a  chance that they won’t appreciate it, like I hope.
It’s then, when they open the gift, that I’ll see that “look”.
I know both of them well enough to know exactly what the “look” looks like.
It’s that look that I saw when one of them came home from work the other day holding their Christmas bonus.  It was a Spiral Cut Ham, with glaze.  She hates ham and I don’t think many single, 21 year olds  would appreciate a ham for a Christmas bonus. (I, however, was thrilled with it.)
I saw that look on both their faces, several years ago, when they opened their present of pajamas .
I thought the Pjs were wonderful, but they told me almost right away that they were old lady pjs. 
I hope, when they open their gifts today, I’ll see that look of joy and total shocked surprise on their faces.
And not the “Present Face”
 
Wishing you all a joyous Christmas with your loved ones … and absolutely NO “Present Faces”!

4 comments:

adsgram said...

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and HAPPY Presents Faces from all!

Lynne

Shirley said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family. My spiral cut ham was greatly appreciated, but I know where your daughter is coming from. I hope they liked their Christmas present that you got them. I hope that you had a great day and aren't grandchildren fun at Christmas. Your Missouri Friend.

Diane H said...

Blessings to you and your family, Cathy. Can't wait to hear that you saw faces of pure delight!

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Cathy Sweetie...
I pray you had a Merry Christmas and I am just dying to know what the gift was that you gave the DIL's. Please post about it, and was the look on their faces the one you were hoping for? I know what you mean it is SO hard to shop for the in laws. We always want them to feel welcome and loved, and we want to give them that perfect gift. I sometimes am afraid to even watch them open the gift you know? I have been there.

Can you believe we are already moving into the New Year. I don't know where the time has gone. It amazes me at the speed of this year, it has flown right on by. I have so enjoyed blogging with you sweetie and I am so looking forward to another great year. 2011 will hold many sweet thoughts for both of us.

Many hugs and so much love, Sherry