Monday, April 6, 2009

I married my wool today

Easter dinner will be at my house this year. My two brothers and my sister, with their families will be here. This week will be spent getting ready for that and putting some finishing touches in the kitchen. My husband and I completely gutted our kitchen this past fall and finally finished it up right before Christmas. I still haven't made curtains or added finishing touches to the kitchen, mostly because it's painting that needs to be done outside, in nice weather ...which we haven't had too much of lately. This is my sewing project for today.
I'm going to turn this fabric into 2 window valances. Still not sure exactly what the design will be, but it will get done today. yessiree, it will.
Ok, marrying wool doesn't require anything but some wool, some string, a pot and some water. Basically marrying wool is using one color of wool to bleed into a lighter color wool, creating a nice mottled mix of colors in the lighter wool. So here, I've a red piece of wool and scrunched up a piece of white wool.

 **NOTE:  This works well with most recycled wool...wool from skirts, jackets, etc.  It doesn't work most times with hand-dyed wool since the methods used to dye will set the dye into the wool so that it doesn't bleed.**

Fold the two pieces up together. I prefer to wet the wool beforehand, but dry wool works too.
Use some string to tightly tie the wool. I don't use rubber bands because I've learned from experience, that the rubber bands can break during the cooking process.
Using tongs, carefully place the wool bundle into boiling hot water. Let it simmer on low heat for ... I dunno, maybe 30 min or so. Carefully take it out of the water, rinse with cold water, cut the strings and open up your surprise package.
Voila! This is what it turns into...a nice mottled blending of colors. Reds always marry into shades of pinks. At least for me it does. I never get a true red. It's nice to use this method when you need several different shades of the same color. I'm planning to use this for tulips and roses.
Ok, kitchen curtain time. I'm dusting off my sewing machine RIGHT NOW!

8 comments:

Betsy said...

I'm going to have to try your "marring the wool" process. I've put lighter shades of wool in with the darker one to die them in my washing machine but I really like the different shades you get by doing it this way. Thanks for sharing. Oh and good luck with your curtains.
Betsy

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Can't wait to see your curtains finished!

Thanks for the tip on marring wool, just never knew that's how you went about getting the different shades:)
Rondell

Birgit said...

I just happened to find your blog for the first time today and what B~E~A~U~T~I~F~U~l work you do!! Oh my I am in heaven looking at your creations!
I love the wool marrying, they will make such sweet looking tulips with the mottled colors.
Wish I was a penny maker, I've never done one and am scared to death. I'll just pop by here and enjoy looking at yours. :)
Hugs & blessings to you~ Birgit

Tolentreasures said...

Love that technique and can't wait to try it! Suppose that counts as cooking? cuz the doc said no cooking and I'd hate to lose that privelege over a little bit of wool right now....hmmmm that might have to wait. Thanks for sharing.

Cathy

Lisa said...

What a fantastic idea! I'll let my mom know. She has alot of wool and maybe we can make something new with what we have! You do a great job with your instructions! Thanks! AND THANKS for my surprise!! LOVE my Pin cushions! Look for them topop up on my blog!

Hugs, Lisa

Granny said...

Somehow during my travels through blogland this morning I wandered into yours and I am so glad I did. I love the concept of marrying wool and coming up with muted colors. I'm definitely going to put this on my to do list in my craft room.

Granny said...

Somehow during my travels through blogland this morning I wandered into yours and I am so glad I did. I love the concept of marrying wool and coming up with muted colors. I'm definitely going to put this on my to do list in my craft room.

Nancy said...

Great tip. Hope you show your curtains.